For quilters, smart designs you can create on nearly every kind of fabric at faster speeds can best describe the Janome 1600P High Speed Sewing and Quilting machine in one sentence. It isn’t just a sewing machine because it performs with excellence on quilting projects as well.
The 1600P is all you will need to complete projects that require sewing, quilting, patch-working, and even upholstery. Here’s a look at this sewing machines outstanding features.
Product Features of the Janome 1600P
- Dual LED lighting of two krypton lamps.
- Industrial-designed lever for thread take-up.
- With sealed bearings on the shafts.
- Capable of pressure level of 11 pounds on the presser foot.
- Easy-to-read diagram of threading is printed on the machine’s front.
- Tension lever for thread is synchronized.
- Downloadable product brochure is available in PDF.
- Equipped with a metal setting plate attachment.
- Industrial-grade rotary hook is side-loading.
- Easy-to-follow diagram of bobbin winding is printed on the machine’s top.
- No stalling because of the foot control’s liquid response.
- Capable of stitch length variable up to a maximum of 6mm.
- Thread cutter is automatic for more convenience.
- Flat bed has no oil holes.
- Work area measures a spacious 8.85 inches by 5.5 inches.
- Memory for needle up and down setting.
- Foot control is electronic.
- Industrial precision of pre-tension threading.
- Absence of external motor assures quiet operation of the machine.
- Presser foot comes with a sensor.
- Short carrying handle is foldable for convenience.
- Bobbin winder is independent of other mechanisms.
- Speed control is variable depending on the user’s need.
- Capable of 1,600 SPM.
- Knee lift is ergonomically designed for a wide range of adjustments.
Our Review of the Janome 1600p
Bobbin winding and threading are considered difficult to accomplish with sewing machines but the 1600P model goes through both in a breeze. They have both tasks with easy-to-read and easy-to-follow board diagrams. Everything becomes easy as pie from bobbin insertion in its case to bobbin mounting on the machine’s race hook.
Even beginning sewers will find it simple to adjust the dials for both the stitch length and tension. For a machine that runs like a heavy duty industrial strength sewing machine, the Janome 1600p-qc 390 is surprisingly quiet, without any vibration when it operates. As to durability, the body construction is of painted aluminum.
This model is suitable for use by users of all skill levels of sewers and is a showcase of versatility from everyday sewing like patch-working to heavy quilting. Since this model has been especially designed for heavy duty sewing and produces amazing results even with heavy fabrics projects such as, suede purses, corduroy coats, vinyl slipcovers.
The standard accessories are always a “pro” and the this sewing machine has them:
- Spool cap.
- Hemmer foot.
- Knee lifter.
- One piece of HL x 5-14.
- Cloth guide inclusive of screw.
- Instruction manual.
- Lubricating oil.
- One piece of HL x 5-9.
- Spool holder.
- Small screwdriver.
- One piece of HL x 5-16.
- Two pieces of HL x 5-11.
- Lint brush.
- Large screwdriver.
- Accessory box.
This Janome sewing machine is a workhorse when it comes to the plethora of fabrics it can accommodate. You will have no trouble working with the following fabrics:
- Fabric blends.
- Reptile skin.
- Medium to heavyweight knits.
- Other types of thick fabric.
- Extension work table (optional).
- Other kinds of synthetic fabrics.
- Multiple layers of fabric.
Although the 1600P model has a convenient short, foldable carrying handle, portability may be inconvenient because of the machine’s bulk. I’ve seen some customer reviews report difficulty with the automatic threading feature, but I didn’t encounter any problems with it at all. One item that you may consider a “con” is the fact that the 1600P is exclusively a “straight stitch” sewing machine.
The upside of this “con,” which was also mentioned as a “pro” is that the model is perfect for projects which require long and straight stitches that it can form well, tight, and sturdy. This is why It is a popular choice with quilters. And while the machine’s speed is adjustable and can be set at 800 SPM, some users may still find this speed setting much faster, and therefore more intimidating, than their capacity to sew.
What Customers Say
Some customers on third party websites mentioned the “old-fashioned feel” of the Janome models like the 1600 due to its mechanical nature and solid, heavy frame. Quilters and other sewers have only high praise for this model because of its excellent performance in straight stitching. This, however, has disappointed those who expected features such as buttonhole creation and zigzag stitching in this model.
Based on my experience, even beginning quilters will not have an issue with this sewing machine. While it has a tremendous line up of features, it is most suitable for quilters and not for other types of sewers. This is because, as mentioned elsewhere in this review, this particular model’s performance, while undeniably excellent, is limited and exclusive to straight stitching.
Given that, the Janome 1600P sewing machine is a “must have” for serious or even wannabe serious quilters. The heaviness as a “con” mentioned previously should not deter you from buying this model if you are determined to do quilting on a large scale frequently. Those who want more embroidery, stitches, etc., however, should consider the embroidery machines I recommend here.
Other Quilting Machine Options
The Janome 1600p Straight-stitch machine is perfect for those who want to quilt on a home sewing machine. It is powerful and has all the options you need. However, if you are a quilter there are many other machines to choose from. If you would like to see other sewing machines I recommend for quilting you should check out this post here: https://grandmalikestosew.com/best-quilting-sewing-machine/