The Singer 4423 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine is an Amazon’s Choice product. It has rave reviews and is the perfect balance between price and features. The 4423 is designed to do heavy duty sewing, so it might not look as nice as other sewing machines, but it works very well.
Singer 4423 Review
Singer offers this in a base model, however, there’s also an option for the accessory kit model. The base model is what we’ll be reviewing today, but if you’re new to sewing and don’t have accessories, the kit is recommended.
The 4423 heavy duty sewing machine comes with a variety of handy features.
Singer 4423 Features:
- 23 built-in stitches
- 12 decorative stitches
- Automatic needle threader
- 1,100 stitches-per-minute maximum
- 60% stronger motor
- Top drop-in bobbin
- One-step buttonhole
- Pressure foot pressure control
- 25-year limited warranty
Stitches for Every Occasion
Singer includes over 23 stitches, and a one-step buttonhole option too. When stitching, the newly updated motor can produce speeds of up to 1,100 stitches per minute. You’ll finish projects faster and more efficiently as a result.
In comparison, most other machines are only able to stitch 500 to 600 stitches per minute.
One thing that a lot of consumers make note of in their reviews was that this sewing machine makes exceptionally straight stitches.
Some sewing machines are better than others in this regard, but Singer allows for fast speeds and straight sewing lines – a major plus. Your garments and other projects will look more professional thanks to these precise lines.
There are three main stitch types to choose from:
There are 12 decorative stitches and 11 remaining stitches. When selecting your stitches, you’ll be able to adjust the stitch length as well as the stitch width up 6mm. There are three needle positions, too.
All you need to do is turn a dial to adjust the width through six settings. Stitch length starts at 0.5mm and has four different setting adjustments.
When you’re able to control the length and width of a stitch, you have the ability to be more creative. You can make stronger or looser stitches, and you’ll also be able to create different effects with your stitches.
Every good sewing machine allows for proper width and length adjustments.
When threading the machine, there is an automatic needle threader system that allows you to thread the unit quickly. The top drop-in bobbin can be a little picky at first, but it’s a great design that allows you to setup a project faster.
Powerful Enough for Any Fabric
Singer knows that consumers want versatility, and one of the best ways to add versatility is to allow users to use any fabric that they like. The heavy-duty design and powerful motor can handle the following fabrics with ease:
Of course, you need to choose a needle that is appropriate for your fabric’s thickness. Thicker needles will be able to go through denim or leather with much greater ease than a thin needle that is likely to snap.
Extra Features to Make Sewing Easier
I’m a huge fan of YouTube, and there are more than enough videos from others covering everything you can possibly want to know about the 4423. These videos will be helpful for new users and seasoned veterans.
There are also a lot of features that may not seem like a big deal to most seamstresses, but they definitely make your life easier when sewing.
The features that you need to know about that we haven’t mentioned are:
- Auto reverse. You can auto reverse your stitches to make your stitches stronger. When working with garments that may be used more intensely, this is a great option. Jeans used on a construction site, for example, benefit from the reverse stitch because it strengthens the pants.
- Storage. There’s a storage space on-board in the sewing bed. Place all of your accessories in this space for easy access.
- Free arm. When sewing in hard-to-reach spaces, the free arm allows you the utmost ease. This free arm feature allows you to sew collars, cuffs and even hem pants.
- Snap on. Presser feet are fast to get on and come off with a change of the release. Instantly swap between presser feet with this design. Singer does include four types of presser feet: all purpose, buttonhole, button sewing and a zipper foot. Multiple presser feet allow you to get started on nearly any sewing project without having to purchase additional sewing feet for the job.
- Clearance. The presser foot has an extra-high clearance, which is ideal when working with multiple fabric layers. You can use this clearance to your advantage when working with bulky fabric.
- Positions. The needle has three positions that allow you to change the position to your desired place. Position changing is required when working with zippers or cording, just as an example.
When sewing, you’ll be relying on your foot to press on the pedal to adjust sewing speeds. The foot pedal is rather sensitive, so you’ll need to make sure that the pedal is firmly on the ground when you begin sewing.
It will take practice to figure out the right amount of pressure to apply to your pedal.
After a few hours, it will be second nature.
Another neat aspect of this machine is that you have the option to transport it whenever you like. The unit weighs just 14.5 pounds, so it’s easy to carry for a short distance. Some of the older, heavy-duty models were very heavy, making repositioning or sewing in another room very cumbersome.
- Sews multiple layers with ease
- Easy and fast threading
- Lightweight and small
- Very loud
One small complaint is that the Singer 4423 is not a quiet machine by any means. Noise is really the only complaint users have, which is pretty easy to overlook. I did see one consumer mention that the unit failed after 14 months of use.
That’s not a major issue – you’re bound to have defective units.
What’s nice is that Singer provides a 25-year limited warranty. The warranty protects your investment so that you can replace it if it’s defective.
Singer is a well-known brand in the sewing industry, and their heavy-duty series of sewing machines offer the industry’s best quality for the price. This unit comes with all of the features you need to get started on your sewing project and none that you won’t use.
With exceptionally straight sewing lines, a 60% stronger motor and a 25-year limited warranty, the 4423 is a great pick for new and seasoned seamstresses alike.
If this machine isn’t right for you then go here to see all of our recommended heavy duty sewing machines.